Monday, May 9, 2011

A Second Chance for Smack Shack

Today’s damp weather reminded me of the coast, so I decided to make my way over to Smack Shack for a little seafood. This was only my second time to Smack Shack because my initial visit last year did not win me over and with so many other proven winners calling my name I just had never returned.

My less than stellar first impression last year was largely a service issue. I ordered my food only to learn that the prices had been raised but weren’t reflected on the menu and that they no longer were offering the pie that was listed on the menu of the day (and that I had trekked all the way over for). So, when I bit into my lobster roll, I was already discouraged and it would have taken something truly amazing to gain my affection at that point. Unfortunately, I thought it to be pretty average – so heavy on the mayonnaise that I could hardly taste the lobster. But maybe I’m an unfair judge with all the fresh lobster I’ve had the privilege of enjoying in my lifetime. It’s just not the same in Minnesota.

Anyway, that was last year. Today I was drawn back to Smack Shack and I was pleasantly surprised. The shrimp po boy was a substantial sandwich for $8, with thick crusty bread, crunchy battered shrimp, cucumber, tomato, onion, lettuce and mayo (more than I needed). The seasoned french fries are a steal with a huge serving for just $3. Although I did see the fries getting dumped from a freezer-type bag into the deep fryer, so that made them taste a little less delicious to me. Not that I expect them to be cutting all those potatoes in back, but I just don’t get the local, natural vibe at Smack Shack that I value at some of the other trucks. I guess I just have to accept the fact that seafood is not local here!

So, all in all, a good meal, but I would have enjoyed it more sitting in a bar & grille with a beer. I kind of need a nap now after all that grease.

No comments:

Post a Comment