Monday, April 25, 2011

First Taste of the Season

As the first work day with true Spring weather, today was the perfect day to start my 2011 truck chasing downtown and Dandelion Kitchen's bright yellow truck was the beacon pulling me back in.

After sticking it out into November last year, and now among the first trucks to open for 2011, Dandelion deserved to be my first taste of street food for the season and they did not disappoint.

Back in their prime location on Nicollet Mall in front of IDS, Dandelion has returned with many old favorites on the menu, including the BLT, ham and brie, and grilled cheese sandwiches, as well as their house-made sodas.

I went with a trusted favorite meal which ranked among my top three last year - the grilled cheese and a basil lime soda. I am pleased to report that nothing has changed!

Dandelion's grilled cheese is the most gourmet version of the sandwich I've ever had the joy of tasting. Plan on eating it with a fork! I'm sure a food writer could find exquisite words to describe the perfect combination of thick grilled sour dough, sweet caramelized onions, and tangy cabbage-fennel slaw - all I can say is beyond delicious. And I love that they use mostly local ingredients (hard to believe at the extremely reasonable price).

But the best part of today's meal was the soda. I have to admit that I've been craving a Dandelion soda ever since I started thinking street food this year. I can't think of anything better to do on my lunch break than sit in the sun with a Dandelion basil lime (served in compostable cups, no less!).

I think it's safe to say that Dandelion can count on seeing me at least weekly this year. I can't wait until the heat sets in for the start of popsicle season!

No comments:

Post a Comment